I lab a lot, and I mean a lot. One thing I run into is vCenter’s Appliance expiring it’s password for the root account.
At 1st this was extremely annoying and more it was frustrating until I could figure out ohwto reset the password in GRUB.
So Let me write something up to help others.
- right click on the VCSA appliance in the ESXi host it lives.
- go to “edit settings and go to vm options and drill down to boot options.
- increase the boot delay to like 8000 miliseconds or something high.
- reboot the vCSA appliance and as soon as the Photon screen appears press “e”.
- next you’ll come to this splash screen with coding, at the ned of the string that starts with linux type this:
Now press “F10”, after a few seconds the screen will load to a console line with a #:
- type “passwd” and enter in your password twice. WRITE IT DOWN!
- then type:
*NOTE* not “unmount” 😉
- after that type:
I hope this helps someone whenever they have this problem. This has worked in VMware vCSA 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5.
Have a good day. 🙂
Keywords: GRUB, vCSA password won’t reset, vCenter root password expired, can’t log into vCenter, vcenter password expired